[Summary: In order to ensure compliance with relevant employment and tax laws, faculty who will be carrying out their fall 2020 teaching duties from a location outside of Connecticut (whether domestic or abroad) must register with the university. This message provides instructions on how to provide this information to your Operations Manager, who will file the relevant forms on your behalf.]
To: FAS Faculty
Cc: FAS Dean’s Office; FAS Steering; FAS Operations Managers, Lead Administrators, and Chairs Assistants
Dear FAS Faculty,
To make teaching assignments for Fall 2020 accessible and flexible, the FAS has adopted several temporary policy changes. In accordance with these changes, faculty are permitted to carry out their university duties from remote locations, so long as: (i) the faculty member has confirmed that they will be available for full and complete participation in all departmental and university activities (teaching, seminars, meetings, etc.) without adjustments to accommodate their temporary time zone; and (ii) the faculty member’s chair and divisional dean have approved a formal plan outlining specific ways in which departmental service expectations will be met remotely. This is in keeping with the spirit of Section XX.A of the Faculty Handbook.
However, in order to ensure compliance with relevant employment and tax laws, faculty who will be carrying out their teaching duties from a location outside of Connecticut (whether domestic or abroad) must register with the university.
Your department’s Operations Manager will file all relevant paperwork on your behalf. So that they are aware that you will be working form outside of Connecticut, and have all of the information they need to fill out your paperwork, please send them the following information by July 31 if possible, and no later than August 7.
- New or continuing faculty member:
- State or country from which you will be working remotely:
- Reason for temporary non-CT residency (e.g. due to COVID-19):
- What work will you perform for the university from this location (e.g. teaching, mentoring, research, committee service):
- Will you need technical and/or administrative support from this location? (In most cases the answer should be N/A. If you do require assistance such as forwarding of office mail or processing of expenses, please briefly describe your needs):
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Tamar and Mary
Tamar Szabó Gendler
Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Senior Director of Financial Operations
FAS Dean’s Office