Faculty Activity Report Process - Instructional Faculty (November 20, 2020)
2020 has been a year unlike any other in our experience. We are grateful for your extraordinary efforts in teaching and mentoring, which have enabled our students to continue learning, and for the acts of service you performed on behalf of your departments, divisions, and disciplines to ensure the smooth and successful operation of the university in pursuit of its mission. So it is with particular appreciation that I write to you to begin our annual Faculty Activity Report process for the 2020 calendar year.
The FAS salary budget for AY22 includes resources to support standard salary increases for FAS ladder and instructional faculty, as well as funds to recognize promotions. To be considered for an increase, you must submit an up-to-date FAR and CV. (Even if you have submitted materials during the current academic year for reappointment or promotion, you are still expected to submit an FAR.)
These materials are essential for department chairs’ salary recommendations and for discussion of raises by the FAS Steering Committee.
The submission system is now open; the deadline to submit your materials is January 26, 2021.
- Deadline for submission: 1/26/2021.
- Please log in to submit through Workday.
- The FAR is downloadable here.
- Instructions are on the FAS Website.
- To view last year’s FAR, on the Workday home page, click on Personal Information, under the View column click More, click on Worker Documents, and all previously submitted documents will display. *Please do not delete prior years’ documents.
- Once the FAR and CV are successfully submitted, they will immediately display in your Documents section, which serves as confirmation.
- For support, please email Sara Wilhelm at email@example.com.
- Note: department administrators do not have the permissions to upload on behalf of faculty; the upload process and instructions have been streamlined this year to make submission simpler.
Submission process through Workday
FAS ladder and multi-year instructional faculty will be submitting their FARs through Workday (please see attached instructions or visit here). Workday can be accessed by logging into https://www.myworkday.com/yale. Workday can also be accessed by visiting https://your.yale.edu/ and clicking on “Workday” in the top menu bar. If you would like to confirm your FAR has been successfully submitted, you can do so in Workday. On the Workday home page, click on Personal Information, under the View column click More, click on Worker Documents, and all submitted documents will display.
*Note: Please do not delete any documents from previous years’ FAR submissions. Also, please make sure that the proper Document Category is assigned for each document: Faculty Activity Report and Curriculum Vitae.
In your FAR (typically not more than 500 words), please identify your activities and accomplishments for the calendar year 2020 by listing or describing them in the attached form. Some of the information for the annual activity report—your appointment history, courses taught (with enrollments), and certain University committees—comes directly from our records. This information, together with your curriculum vitae and narrative statement, will be available to your department chair(s) and to the FAS Dean’s Office to guide the annual review process.
As we did last year, we will use the FAR format recommended by the 2019 Faculty Activity Committee. A copy of their report can be found here.
- When completing the “noteworthy accomplishments” section, please make sure that you highlight those aspects of teaching and service from calendar year 2020 that represent your major achievements of that year.
- You may also wish to describe activities that may not be reflected in our system-generated records or are not readily apparent in your curriculum vitae. This may include details on student advising; guest lectures and conferences within and outside Yale that are connected to your teaching role; and service – both formal and informal – to the University, your profession, and your community.
- We recognize that this has been an exceptional year, and that many faculty have faced circumstances that have affected their teaching. Please feel free to describe briefly particular challenges that you have faced as the result of the COVID-19 crisis.
Making changes to your FAR
If you wish to make changes to your 2020 FAR or CV (prior to the deadline) you can delete the uploaded version and upload a revised one directly in Workday. Please refer to the FAR instructions to make any changes. *Please do not delete or alter prior years’ documents.
Questions and concerns
Our aim is to make this process as simple as possible for faculty, while providing essential information for recommendations by chairs and deliberations by FAS Steering. Sara Wilhelm (firstname.lastname@example.org), FAS Appointments and Promotions Coordinator, is available to provide administrative support in case of any questions.
Tamar Szabó Gendler
Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Vincent J. Scully Professor of Philosophy
Professor of Psychology and Cognitive Science