Appointment of the FAS Communications Advisory Committee
April 21, 2022
To: FAS Faculty and Staff
cc: FAS Steering, FAS Dean’s Office, GSAS Dean’s Office, Yale College Dean’s Office, OPAC leadership, President’s Office, Provost’s Office, Secretary’s Office
[Summary: this message announces the formation of the FAS Communications Advisory Committee, which is charged with providing recommendations to facilitate communication between the FAS Dean’s Office and the broader FAS and university community.]
I write to announce the formation of an ad hoc committee—the FAS Communications Advisory Committee—charged with providing recommendations to facilitate communication between the FAS Dean’s Office and the broader FAS and university community. The committee will aid in developing strategies to enhance the visibility of the FAS at Yale and beyond and will provide feedback on best practices for FAS communications.
The formation of this committee is informed by the FAS Dean’s Office’s aim to renew a sense of community among FAS faculty and staff in the wake of over two years of partially remote operations. During the pandemic, our efforts to share information efficiently and effectively took on new importance. This committee will elucidate the lessons that we might learn from the communications efforts of the past years in order to guide our future work. In addition, they will advise the FAS Dean’s Office on priorities and strategies for sharing the stories and achievements of our faculty and staff with our broader community.
The committee’s members are faculty from across the FAS and staff who work in and with various university communication offices, FAS Departments, and the FAS Dean’s Office. The committee will meet throughout the remainder of the Spring 2022 semester and through the Fall 2022 semester and will present their recommendations at the close of the Fall term. I am grateful to the FAS Faculty Senate and other university leaders for nominating colleagues to serve on this committee.
The committee co-chairs are:
- Alexandra Apolloni | Project Specialist for Communications and Faculty Development, FAS Dean’s Office
- Arielle Baskin-Sommers | Associate Professor, Psychology
The committee members are:
- Micah Cormier | Director of Special Media Projects, FAS Dean’s Office
- Julienne Hadley | Director of Strategic Communications, Internal Communications
- Nilay Hazari | John Randolph Huffman Professor, Chemistry
- Paul Kockelman | Professor, Anthropology
- Catherine Nicholson | Professor, English
- Renee Reed | Senior Administrative Assistant, Judaic Studies
- Rebecca Toseland | Senior Lecturer, Economics; Director of Research Support, Tobin Center
- Ezgi Yalcin | Lector, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
I am grateful to the committee for engaging in this important project. Faculty and staff alike are welcome to share perspectives with the committee; we encourage you to email email@example.com to offer feedback.
Tamar Szabó Gendler
Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Vincent J. Scully Professor of Philosophy
Professor of Psychology and Cognitive Science