The FAS Dean of Science Search Advisory Committee advises the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences on potential candidates for the role of FAS dean of science. The committee’s charge is to provide the Dean with a list of promising candidates and a sense of their strengths and challenges.
Committee Membership, 2022
- Scott Miller, Committee Chair: Irénée du Pont Professor of Chemistry, FAS
- Ruth Blake: Professor of Earth & Planetary Sciences, FAS
- Ron Breaker: Sterling Professor of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, FAS
- Deborah Coen: Professor of History; Chair of the History of Science & Medicine Program, FAS
- Erika Edwards: Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, FAS
- Meg Urry: Israel Munson Professor of Physics, FAS
- Lisa Turner, Staff: Senior Administrative Assistant, Office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Role and Responsibilities
- The FAS Dean of Science oversees the day-to-day well-being and mid- and long-term planning of the departments in the FAS Division of Science: Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics, as well as Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, and Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology. The FAS Dean of Science will coordinate efforts between and among these departments. For each of these units, they oversee faculty hiring plans, hiring processes, offers, recruitments, retentions, and use of the Science Development Funds, as well as faculty lifecycle issues including promotion, tenure, and retirement. They lead, with the Dean of the FAS (and, as relevant, the Dean of the Medical School and the Dean of SEAS), the relevant tenure appointments and promotions committees (TACBS and PSETAC).
- The FAS Dean of Science sits on the major FAS committees, including FAS Steering (which oversees matters of FAS policy) and the Faculty Resource Committee (which oversees the allocation of FAS faculty searches). Together with the FAS Deans of Humanities, Social Science, and Diversity and Faculty Development, they meet regularly with the Dean of the FAS to coordinate FAS-wide goals, strategies, policies, and practices.