2022 Faculty Activity Report Process - Ladder Faculty
November 18, 2022
To: FAS Ladder Faculty
cc: FAS Dean’s Office; Office of Faculty Administrative Services; FAS Department Chair’s Assistants, Lead Administrators, and Operations Managers
[Summary: This message outlines the Faculty Activity Report submission process for FAS ladder faculty for 2022.]
We write to you to begin our annual Faculty Activity Report process for the 2022 calendar year. As you may know, this process informs salary changes and allows chairs and FAS Steering to make recommendations based on your accomplishments.
To be considered for a salary increase, you must submit an up-to-date FAR and CV. (Even if you have submitted materials during the current academic year for reappointment, tenure, or promotion, you must still submit an FAR.) The submission system is now open; the deadline to submit your materials is January 18, 2023.
Instructions for submitting the FAR
- Deadline for submission: January 18, 2023.
- Please log in to submit through Workday.
- The FAR form is downloadable here.
- Instructions for uploading your FAR and CV are available on the FAS Website.
- To view last year’s FAR, on the Workday home page, click on Personal Information, under the View column click More, click on Worker Documents, and all previously submitted documents will display. Please do not delete prior years’ documents.
- Once your FAR and CV are successfully submitted, they will immediately display in your Documents section, which serves as confirmation.
- Please make sure that the proper Document Category (Faculty Activity Report or Curriculum Vitae) is assigned to each document.
- For assistance submitting your FAR, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and begin your subject line with “FAR”. A dedicated IT support person will respond to your request.
- For general questions about the FAR process, please email email@example.com.
Note: department administrators do not have the Workday permissions to upload the FAR on your behalf.
In your FAR, please list or describe your activities and accomplishments for the calendar year 2022. Some of the information for the annual activity report—your appointment history, courses taught (with enrollments), leave history, certain University committees, and sponsored research—comes directly from university records. This information, together with your curriculum vitae and narrative statement, will be available to your department chair(s) and to the FAS Dean’s Office to guide the annual review process.
The FAR format that we currently employ is based on recommendations from the 2019 Faculty Activity Committee. A copy of their report can be found here.
Describing your accomplishments and activities
- When completing the “noteworthy accomplishments” section, please make sure that you highlight those aspects of teaching, research, and service from calendar year 2022 that represent your major achievements of that year.
- Publications that have a copyright date and/or publication date of 2022 should be included in your FAR. If a scholarly piece was made available electronically by a journal or a publisher in 2022 before it was scheduled to appear in print (e.g., “e-pub ahead of print”), you may list it on the 2022 FAR. However, a scholarly accomplishment should be highlighted in only one year’s FAR.
- Works that have not been published in their final form electronically or in print (e.g., a book manuscript accepted by a publisher but with the book not yet publicly available) will be recognized in the year in which they are copyrighted and/or published.
You may also wish to describe activities that may not be reflected in our system-generated records or are not readily apparent in your curriculum vitae. This may include details on mentoring of colleagues (faculty and post-doctoral fellows); student advising and mentoring, both formal and informal; research and publications in process; guest lectures and conferences within and outside Yale; and service – both formal and informal – to the University, your profession, and your community.
Making changes to your FAR
If you wish to make changes to your 2022 FAR or CV (prior to the deadline) you can delete the uploaded version and upload a revised one directly in Workday. Please refer to the FAR instructions to make any changes. Please do not delete or alter prior years’ documents.
Questions and concerns
For technical assistance with submitting your FAR, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and begin your subject line with “FAR”. A dedicated IT support person will respond to your request.
For general questions about the FAR process, please email email@example.com.
Tamar and Katie
Tamar Szabó Gendler
Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Vincent J. Scully Professor of Philosophy
Professor of Psychology and Cognitive Science
Acting Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences (effective January 1, 2023)
FAS Dean of Humanities
Lex Hixon Professor of Religious Studies, of American Studies, of History, and of Divinity